There’s a project in the offing here and I think the Flashcard tool is a natural fit for it, so I spent a few minutes today messing around with that tool to make sure I know how to use it. Its a pretty straightforward little interface — I started with the hard stuff, I think, because there’s not much to mess up here. I think in practical application, finding open source images that fit the needs of the instructor will be the biggest challenge (in this case, since this space is so locked down, I haven’t worried about that here, though one thing I like is the robust built-in functionality to disclose copyright information).

This allows you to type alongside your image.

I like this for reinforcing vocabulary and for pairing images to key terms for more visual learners. I can see a lot of application in developmental literacy and language courses.

I don’t have a lot of analysis for this one. It’s pretty much what it says on the tin. I would worry about using it for summative evaluation — as with the majority of these tools — unless instructors are thoroughly re-grading work and checking for things like spelling errors.